Tuesday, June 9, 2009

NDP Majority Government

NDP: 31
Lib: 11
PC: 10

You don't really get more decisive then that, I suppose.

Nova Scotians voted for change tonight, and that change is coming from the New Democratic Party. I can't say I'm not disappointed, obviously, and I can't say that I don't feel wary about my province's future under the orange regime. However, he clearly wanted it more and so I congratulate him.

Beyond that, though, I'd say the Liberal Party also won a strong victory here, because, in his first campaign as leader, Stephen McNeil managed to take his party to Official Opposition status and, despite a clear wave of NDP support, he managed to keep all Liberal MLA's in place and pick up two new seats, one from the Conservatives and one from the NDP. For the first time in 6 years, Dartmouth is no longer 100% NDP orange. That's a victory right there.

In my own riding of Dartmouth North, the NDP's Trevor Zinck beat the Liberal candidate, Jim Smith. I worked hard for Jim and I'm sorry that he lost, but it was a fair battle and Trevor is a great guy and will, hopefully, be made a Minister in the new NDP Government; something he definitely deserves.

Overall, I'm upset, but not miserable by the results.

You have 4 years to make things right in Nova Scotia, Darrell; don't f*** it up!

1 comment:

  1. I'm particularly satisfied to know that somewhere in Ottawa, Peter MacKay is going to have stomach cramps for a few weeks at least, knowing the fact that not only did his province go orange, so did his hometown (Pictou Centre, the former riding of John Hamm and containing New Glasgow, went to the NDP)

    ReplyDelete