Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Ruby Gloom and Bill Casey


So, I injured my back and got reprimanded at work for missing three days. So, understandably, I've been somewhat distracted. However, far from abandoning this blog, I simply took a few days off.

To ease back in to things, I thought I'd give mention about one of my favorite TV shows; one that happens to be a children's show: Ruby Gloom. The theme song is addictive and, far from being a typical kid's show, it's definitely one of the more modern attempts by producers to make childrens' shows that are watchable by adults. This one has a very clear Gothic theme to it, with characters like "Skullboy", "Doom Kitty", and, my personal favorite, "Misery". I think that I enjoy this show more than my daughter does, actually.

Anyway, onto the other thing that I wanted to talk about...

Bill Casey, the PC/Conservative/Independent Member of Parliament for Cumberland-Colchester-Musquodoboit Valley, has resigned his seat to take another job which leaves his seat open. Criticized by some, praised by many and respected by most, Casey is one of the few non-Liberal MP's that I had a great deal of respect for. Unlike the spineless toads in the Nova Scotia Conservative caucus, read: Peter MacKay, Casey stood up for his home and got kicked out for it by his party. I lived for a couple of years in his riding and always found him to be a fair and decent man.

The question now arises about who will win his seat in the byelection (or general election, whichever comes first)? Traditionally, the seat has been blue, with the only exception in my lifetime being 1993 during the PC Party collapse when Diane Brushett won it for the ~ 4 years until the 1997 election. Despite the last election resulting in the Liberal candidate losing her deposit, I firmly believe that the next MP that C-C-MV gets will be a Liberal for the simple reason that nobody associated with Stephen Harper will get elected in the riding formerly occupied by the man who was fired by the Conservative Party for believing in Nova Scotia. And the NDP just doesn't click with most people in the riding outside of, possibly, the Truro area.

But which will come first: A byelection or a general election? And will the results be different with one versus another?

That's all for now. Next post will be my prediction for the Nova Scotia election.

1 comment:

  1. I hear Elizabeth May is being persuaded to run here instead of the uphill climb of Central Nova, MacKay's riding. If that happens, I wonder if Iggy would just put up a token Liberal candidate to allow Ms. May a better shot?

    Interesting note, May actually made Bill Casey an honourary Green before the last election. Mr. Casey may not be campaigning for anyone, but perhaps his supporters would feel more inclined to vote for Ms. May if she were to step in.

    ReplyDelete