Wednesday, April 8, 2009

My feelings on Iggy


I've been searching my brain for something to write about for my first post. I read a bunch of other first posts on various blogs, especially political blogs, and came to the conclusion that my first post would be about the Leader of the Liberal Party of Canada, and the next Prime Minister - which, given the events of late seems much more based in reality instead of simply hope - Michael Ignatieff.
I'm not as worldly as I would like, plus I guess I'm somewhat young, as I had never heard of Michael prior to him running in the 2006 general election. After that, especially with all the buzz surrounding the "prodigal son" returning, I did my homework. During the leadership race following the Liberal loss, I can honestly say that I wasn't impressed and even a bit frightened by Ignatieff and his views. Then there was this and the other assorted missteps by him, and my confidence was firmly placed behind Bob Rae.
Fast-forward a few years later, and you can imagine my scepticism when Michael Ignatieff steamrollered over my fellow Atlantic Canadian, Dominic LeBlanc, and my pick once again at that time, Bob Rae, on his way to be crowned in Vancouver this November. Still, I vowed to be a good little Liberal soldier and give the guy a chance.
Well, I'm pleased to say that I was pleasantly surprised. Stephane Dion is a good man, with a lot of great ideas. But even the most ardent Liberal could see that the party was going nowhere fast with him. Michael Ignatieff, on the other hand, consolidated his support, presented himself as the canny intellectual that he is and left Harper looking amateurish by comparison. The polls show growth for the Grits and our fundraising numbers are looking better each day. It's quite a turnaround for me, really, considering that I had a discussion not two years ago with other Liberal colleagues about the danger that Ignatieff would do to our country.
Overall, the man is an amazing politician, considering his lack of experience, and will make a great Prime Minister.
And that's for ding dang!

1 comment:

  1. Hi. Just discovered your blog. I was a strong Dion supporter and had the same reaction as you to Ignatieff, including coming around. I volunteer at the riding level and I have seen a lot more action originating with the federal party at that level than I had seen in earlier years. Both the behind the scenes activity and the more public activity are really quite amazing under a leader who is so new to politics.

    ReplyDelete